[TriLUG] Linksys Wireless Access Points

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Mon Jul 26 12:06:44 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 10:55, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I've pretty much had it with LinkSys WAP11s. I've had 3, they need power
> cycling about every day to unhang them and then they die permanently.
>
> How much money to you have to spend for a SOHO style WAP that will stay up
> for months, years?
>
> Thanks Joe

Not to much.  3 years ago I purchased a basic Netgear 802.11b router/WAP
for a little over $150 (which was cheap for them 3 years ago).  It ran
fine for 13 months, died, was quickly replaced under warranty (3 year
warranty), and ran fine up until 2 months ago when I purchased a Linksys
WRT54GS ($80) to replace it so that I could upgrade to 802.11G.  So far
the Linksys router/WAP has run fine with no rebooting needed.  I would
have gotten another Netgear, but I liked the idea of having the option
of running a custom linux ROM on the linksys if I so desire.

-David

--
David A. Cafaro
dac(at)cafaro.net