[TriLUG] SSH

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Jul 26 16:57:43 EDT 2004

Hugh Crissman wrote:

>Is there a security issue associated with leaving a SSH session from one
>pc to another up for to long (ie. 6-8 hours at a time)? Are there any
>disadvantages at all?

Aside from the physical security aspect, there shouldn't be any other
*security * related issues.  By physical security, I mean that if the
computer that is the SSH client isn't properly locked down with
something like xscreensaver or xlock (or lock, if it's on a console),
then anyone who walks up can have logged-in access to the remote
machine.  As long as you're comfortable with that aspect, then there
isn't really much else that's a problem that I'm aware of (baring truly
ultra-paranoid concerns such as dynamic rules that may get created being
exploited for firewall bypass -- highly unlikely to cause a real
problem, in my opinion).

Aaron S. Joyner