[TriLUG] OT: cellphone companies in Raleigh area

Chris Bullock cgbullock at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 15:09:26 EDT 2004

I would have to say stay away from Alltel, my mother lives in
greenville and on her commute from Greenville to Atlantic beach there
is no coverage between metro areas, meaning no signal from greenville
to new bern and then no signal from newbern to havelock.  I have US
Cellular and the service works great all over eastern NC and also the
RTP area.  I know you will be traveling to New Bern, but I have stayed
on a call from Raleigh to Greenville with no lost signal, i admit it
does get weak in certain places but never loses entirely.  The problem
with some of the "newer" companies is that they will not support
analog signal, I know that US Cellualar and Alltel do offer these.
The plans aren't as great with USCC but I dont need 50 state no
roaming, I just need a cell phone that works.
--chris