[TriLUG] LAmP (but with Microsoft SQL 2k) - suggestions?

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 13:19:30 EDT 2004

In the past, I have managed with SuSE 7.1 to MSSQL 7.0 on PPC, but that was
more than 2 years ago.  I keep seeing this unixODBC come up and now, so in a
new environment in different job, I'm trying to do as the subject suggests.
This is how I did it previously:

http://www.turnpike420.net/linux2/Apache_PHP_FreeTDS_MSSQL7.txt
Which I honestly can't stand this method and had to do it on SuSE at the time
b/c standard installs were configured for it, and I don't think SuSE had a
package thing like RPM, but if it did, doesn't matter b/c I didn't know.

Anyway, I'm using FC1, I have php and php-odbc packages installed, unixODBC is
installed, as well as Apache 2.x.  PHP works great with Apache right now, this
is out of the box install, nothing config'd away from default.  I would like to
think with this combination I can talk to the MSSQL 8.0 (2000) database from a
PHP web application.

An alternate method I'm trying is using the FreeTDS tool that I used back in
the first example.  FreeTDS now comes with 'tsql' tool which I can use and
successfully connect to the MSSQL 2K db.  I don't know how to use tsql, so
other than successful connect, I don't know how far I can go.  At least it
proves I'm not firewalled off form the db.  Any tips or experience making this
happen would be great.

David M.