[TriLUG] UPS (was linksys stuff)

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 13:32:09 EDT 2004

On the note of using a UPS...

I want to get a UPS connected to my mandrake server at home, but there's a
dillema.  I want to know how you folks handle this.

As it stands, the power goes out, server goes down.  Power comes on, server
comes back on.  For the record, this is a Celeron 500 system.

Add a UPS into the mix, and I guess I would want it to wait a minute or two in
case power comes back, then tell the server to shutdown safely.  But, then
what happens when the power comes back on?  I'd be happy to wire the power
switch on the computer to the UPS, but is that possible/reasonable?  I don't
want the power to come on while the server stays off until someone gets
around to turning it back on.

How should I handle this?

Thanks!

Michael