[TriLUG] Linksys Wireless Access Points

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Thu Jul 29 11:04:33 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 07:55:02AM -0700, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Jim Ray wrote:
>
> > Friends don't let friends use cheap wireless junk.  Copper rules.
> > 802.11 is not ready for prime time unless you live out in the sticks
> > with no interference.
>
> I've pretty much had it with LinkSys WAP11s. I've had 3, they need power
> cycling about every day to unhang them and then they die permanently.
>
> How much money to you have to spend for a SOHO style WAP that will stay up
> for months, years?

I had the original Airport Basestation (bought it around March 2000.)
Worked fine until I moved in Dec 2001 when it stopped working.  I
thought it might have been damaged during the move, but it was probably
the aforementioned heat issue.  Anyway, Apple replaced it (out of
warranty) and the replacement worked fine ever since.

A couple weeks ago, I retired it in favor of a new Netgear WGR-614.
(Wireless G access point, 4 port switch, cable/dsl router) Cost me $20.
($45 open box special - $25 rebate.) So far, no problems.

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=174&view=

I live in an apartment building where I can see four or five access
points regularly (and netsniffers catch a glimpse of two or three
others.)  Probably getting some interference, but not significant
problems so far.

I've used a Belkin WAP/Router/Switch.  Was crap.  We managed to burn out
a Netgear wireless router at Skinux, and a D-Link 8-port switch at
Interlan.  Coincidentally, I was working with the same guy at both those
jobs, and hardware does have a tendency to die around him.  Take it as a
data point, but realize he probably has a Personal Electronics Entropy
Field.

I concur with the previously mentioned practice of putting it through a
UPS.  It does seem to make devices less flaky.  Putting your TiVo on
one is a good plan.  My roommate had his DTV-TiVo plugged straight into
the all, I had mine plugged into a UPS.  We had a half-second power
outage.  He came out of his room and said, "Don't you hate it when --
Hey!  Why is your TiVo still running?"

jf
--
John Franklin