[TriLUG] Re: Rsync

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Jul 29 16:30:01 EDT 2004

> Another work around that just came to mind, is to create an apache user
> and group on the destination machine, and give them the same UID / GID
> as the nobody : <whatever> - then rsync might inadvertently "do the
> right thing".  Please test, I am not certain if that'll actually do what
> it sounds like it should.  :)

Yes, this will work.  rsync translates uid/gid numbers based on
userid/group when moving data between computers.  If you create an
apache user/group on the destination machine with the same uid/gid as
user:nobody than rsync will make things right.

I've used this to move data between servers and maintain proper ownership.

--[Lance]
--
  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/