[TriLUG] tar-1.14 can't make large files

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jul 30 13:22:12 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 12:03, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>
> > Try a test like this:
> > 	dd if=/dev/zero of=file1 bs=1045876 count=1500
>
> hmm. it's not tar then. I can't even create a file of 1.5G, but can create
> 750MB, and 1024MB. (I have plenty of free space, about 60G).
>
> Does this mean that the disk hasn't been formattted to take large files? I
> would have assumed with mke2fs from Nov 2002, that I would have been OK
> (mke2fs was compiled against glibc-2.3.1). The disk is ext3 (formatted
> with -j option). There are no options in mke2fs that talk about largefile
> support, that I can see. I just took the defaults for mke2fs.

Large file support is not (exactly) related to the filesystem, it's
related to the version of glibc and the tools that are creating the
files (I mentioned this earlier).  However, your version of glibc should
be new enough, and as I said earlier, the limit that O_LARGE_FILE
overrides is the 2GiB limit (2^31-1 = 2147483648 bytes).  I have no idea
what would be causing a *one* gibibyte limit.  Very odd.

Thanks for trying the strace, when it did the open() command near the
start of the trace, did it open with the O_LARGE_FILE option?  But
really this is a red herring as you should have no problem with the 1500
MiB file.

Jeremy