[TriLUG] Getting router experience, CCNA, and equipment

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Mon Aug 2 09:30:23 EDT 2004

I agree.  The CCNA exam is far more about the basic concepts of routing than
about specific commands.  I think it might be possible to pass that exam
without ever actually having seen the Cisco CLI. Still, some of the
questions ARE about CLI knowledge, so if you think you might be less than
perfect on the concepts then knowing IOS basics will be a must.  I think it
would kind of be silly to get the cert and not be comfortable on a router
console anyway, but that's not the same thing as passing an exam is it.

Training path advice: Since I work for Global Knowledge <marketing plug>
blah blah blah </marketing plug>

Hardware for training: I have a couple of crusty old 2500's that would be
fine to train on.  If you are an RTP local and ask nicely off list I'm happy
to hook you up.

Linux for CCNA: well, if you really want to understand whats going on I'd
stick with hardware routers doing the routing and just use Linux for things
like packet capture and terminal access.