[TriLUG] I want to build an HTTP Proxy for Home

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Aug 2 11:08:58 EDT 2004

Bob Shepherd wrote:

>I've considered using a proxy to help make the web "kid-safe" for all PCs in
>the household, without having to install host-PC applications like
>"Net-Nanny" and the like.  However, a friend has tried this using a whitelist
>approach, to disastrous results.  It turns out almost all the sites have so
>much included content from other foreign URLs that it made the whitelist
>approach generally unmanageable.  I'm wondering if anyone has had success
>with a proxy used for kid-safe content filtering?

You should have a look at SquidGuard or DansGuardian.  Intrex uses a
filter based on SquidGuard (a plugin for Squid) which has freely a
available database you can use for blocking that is updated on a
tri-weekly basis.  The setup is pretty straight forward, and well
documented.  And if you decide it's more hassle than you'd like, you
could always subscribe to Intrex's filtering service.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner