[TriLUG] Department server sonfig suggestions please.

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Wed Aug 4 08:11:36 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 05:46, Matthew Lavigne wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:32:27 -0400, David A. Cafaro <dac at trilug.org> wrote:
> >
> > Last I checked it doesn't, each member partition of a RAID5 system needs
> > to be the same size.  So you would have to loose 1.5GB on each disk
> > after sdb based on your layout.
>
> I disagree with you here, if you are doing RAID5 in HW (really the
> only place to do it).  You use all the disks to make 1 large Raid 5
> Disk that is usually equal to disk size x4 and you partition that.
> Therefore the OS only sees an sda.  I have that with a system that is
> sda - sde.  Each drive is a Raid5 device and the OS sees it as a drive

Actually I think that is in agreement with what I had said (though I
didn't mention hardware raid, which of course is the better choice if
you have it).  I'm assuming that all your HDs in your hardware raid
setup are of the same size?  That would be the same as making all the
software raid partitions the same size (in software raid, instead of
seeing a new 4/5 sda device you see a new 4/5 mda device, but the same
basic thing).  So it acts the same as your example just replacing
/dev/sda with /dev/mda.

--
David A. Cafaro
dac(at)cafaro.net