[TriLUG] Multiple Evolution Users

Jeff Tickle jtickle at jtsoft.net
Thu Aug 5 08:53:02 EDT 2004

Howdy,

I'm about to go off to college, and I want to get Mom and Dad's computer
in good, complete working order before I go.

One thing that I've tried and tried to do is get them to use different
logins, but I guess the one thing they have in common is that they hate
the idea of logging out of someone else just so they can log back in.
Not so much that they hate it... they just don't get it.  I don't see
what's not to get, but whatever.

So I decided to let it be, and let them share an account.  Now, both of
them want to use Ximian Evolution for their ... separate ... email
accounts.  Hmm, there's the explanation for why we have different
logins.  Anyway, today's task for me is to figure out how to keep two
separate sets of Ximian Evolution data for one username under Linux.

The first idea that popped into my head is having a small script, such
that depending on which icon you click, it moves the data for that user
into ~/evolution, and then moves it out when they're done.  But moving
data around like that makes me really nervous, so that's out.

The solution I've come up with is to have the one "tickle" account, and
then a "ron" and "jeanne" that they never have to see.  Then, when you
run Evolution, it would somehow su to that user, and ask for a
password.  Once that pasword has been entered, it remembers the password
for their individual emails and everyone's happy.

The problem I'm having is the su-ing to the other account.  I emerged
sux and set the evolutions to run in terminal.  This works... but I'd
rather not have that terminal there.  (These are parents we're talking
about.  They don't like terminals... mine don't anyway.)  Is there any
sort of graphical solution to su?  Or perhaps a better way of doing what
I want to do here?

Thanks in advance for holding the Gentoo flames!

-Jeff

--
Jeff Tickle

http://www.jtsoft.net