[TriLUG] Access for sending mail through smtp-server.nc.rr.com

Spain, Jamil spain at ncssm.edu
Thu Aug 5 12:04:46 EDT 2004

Hello all..

I have an exchange server 5.5. running from home off my cable modem.. It
handles mail for 1 domain as of right now.  It's been running for about
2 weeks, and I didn't yet shutdown open relay.  well it seems someone on
the internet found it would relay mail and was using it to send out spam
( quite a few messages ) last week... Of course, the exchange server was
configured to accept mail and forward mail to be sent out to
smtp-server.nc.rr.com ..

well I now get those outbound error notices that they cut off smtp
privileges from my 24.x.x.x IP.  once they started rejecting sending, I
received over 80,000 spam messages that are currently clogged into my
postmaster mailbox for all of last week.. I've closed the relay issue,
but now I just want to get to sending out mail again through their smtp
server..

Is there anyway to get it back activated?  maybe by calling tech
support?
Since I've closed the open relay, can spammers still get in since they
had access before?
How can I track them down?

Sincerely,
Jamil Hassan Spain
NC School of Science and Mathematics | ITS DEPARTMENT
Phone: 919-416-2641
Web: www.ncssm.edu <http://www.ncssm.edu/>
Email: spain at ncssm.edu