[TriLUG] Exim troubles

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Aug 10 06:33:11 EDT 2004

Stephen Hoffman wrote:

>How can I set a virtual host to accept *@domain.com and forward it to
>user at somedomain.com in a .forward file.  I've tried to google this, but I
>don't even know what to search string to put in...
>
>Any help greatly appreciated!
>
>Steve

I don't claim to know anything about Exim, but generally speaking...
You can't direct all mail for a domain, from a .forward file.  A
.forward file controls mail that is being delivered to a particular
user, so for example in johndoe's home directory, where is forward file
is located, you can only put rules that affect mail already being
delivered for johndoe at domain.com.  The reason for the limitation is that
the .forward file is being processed by the local delivery agent (ala
procmail, usually).

You'll need to investigate how to do something along the description of
"virtusertable" or "default destination", I believe I found your answer
on the second of those two tries, via google.  Here's a link, check out
example number 3:
http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/exim_0701.html

Aaron S. Joyner