[TriLUG] Advice needed on system upgrade

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Tue Aug 10 11:30:32 EDT 2004

I've been running Linux for little over a year now, but I still consider
myself a newbie.

I'm planning to upgrade this system first with more memory and then
upgrade the system.

I'm currently running RH 9 on a system with 256M of Ram and 2 hard
disks. When I installed RH 9 it partitioned the disks so:

/dev/sda
sda1 start 1 end 13 size 102 ext3  mounted as /boot
sda2 start 14 end 78 size 510 linux swap mounted as swap
      start 79 end 1106 size 8064 Free space
/dev/sdb
sdb1 start 1 end 1106 size 8676 ext3 mounted as /

So I've got about 8 GB which is not used.  I'm planning to add another
512MB of RAM, so I assume that I need to up the swap allocation, I'd
also like to make that free space on the swap disk available for a
backup target.

So what's the best way to repartition?  I assume that I want to boot
from a floppy, but then what?

I'd also like to upgrade the system, probably to Fedora Core, what's the
best way to do this so as to minimize the risk of losing things.  I'm
currently running sendmail, fetchmail and spamassassin, as well as
apache (although there's nothing serious going on there).