[TriLUG] anyone out there good with iptables?........

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Aug 10 14:22:36 EDT 2004

*to the Meow Mix tune*
webmin webmin webmin webmin webmin webmin webmin webmin...

Not at all required, but I've found that webmin's iptables ("Linux Firewall"
applet under Networking) interface is very clean and intuitive.

One basic rule of thumb is on your input chain, the last rule should always
be an across-the-board drop:
iptables -a INPUT_CHAIN_NAME -j DROP

Then all you have to do is put your specific allows in front of that rule.

If you choose to use Webmin, I recommend against also using any boot-time
scripts..  the two may not get along nicely.  Instead of scripting, rely on
iptables' ability to save its current configuration.  The only use for a
script in the webmin case would be for safekeeping in case iptables' saved
configuration somehow gets trashed.

Hope this is helpful...
Cheers,
~Brian