[TriLUG] down, but not^h^h^h defeated

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 13 11:09:59 EDT 2004

For no reason other than I didn't set the thing up in the first place
and the I'm now just having to deal with it.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me WHY CentOS WILL NOT allow you to set a
hostname then obtain the domain information from DNS?

Here's now it works (and it does work, I've tested it) under RH 7.1:

1. install
2. set hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network (do not put domain info, just
hostname)
3. plug machine into network
4. reboot
5. rejoice, vtcmail.gc.lucent.com is resolvable by other machines

Do the same thing with CentOS.. doesn't work.  Set the hostname after
reading the hostname man page.. doesn't work.

NOTHING works!

BAH!!!

Greg