[TriLUG] Connectivity to china

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 16 10:41:35 EDT 2004

I've been down that path..  basically what the Chinese officials are
worried about is the ability of someone in China to use a "private"
network to then gain access to "inappropriate materials" like why one
economic theory or system might be better than another.  Whatever.  So
China has created what is fondly know of as "The Great Firewall of
China" to filter out such bad things.

So you can do one of two things:

1. place a govt. approved filtering firewall behind whatever mechanism
you choose to interconnect your offices (leased line, VPN over
Internet, whatever)
2. sign a waiver saying that you have such filters in place.. but be
warned, the chinese can be a bit harsh if they think you have signed a
waiver saying you are filtering and it turns out you are not.

That's what I recall about the entire process.  Granted this was in
1999, so things may have changed a bit.

Greg