[TriLUG] getting alsa working on a 2.4 to 2.6.7 kernel migration

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue Aug 17 21:01:08 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 07:32:04PM -0400, Ralph Blach wrote:
> trying to migrate to a 2.6.7 kernel
[...]
> Are there any published steps to go from OSS to alsa?

Assuming you've installed module-init-tools for the 2.6 kernel, there
really are only three things:

1) Make sure you disable all OSS/Free support (either modularize with
"m" or simply refuse with "n" all OSS/Free sound options; note you still
need to keep Sound support (soundcore.ko) as a module).

2) Grab alsa-driver 1.0.6a, alsa-lib 1.0.6, and alsa-utils 1.0.6 from
http://www.alsa-project.org/ . Freshrpms _may_ have up-to-date rpms for
these, but I doubt it. To compile alsa-driver, you'll need configured
kernel-source installed that matches _exactly_ your running 2.6 kernel.

3) ALSA's mixer is muted by default. Various vendors utilise a script to
store mixer levels on shutdown and to restore them on boot. Barring
that, run `alsamixer' and use 'm' to unmuted the channels.

We idle in #alsa on irc.freenode.net. Another excellent help resource is:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/ .

HTH.

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc