[TriLUG] A job that was passed to me, out of my area, some of you may want to try for it.

Marty Ferguson marty.ferguson at pobox.com
Mon Aug 23 11:18:55 EDT 2004

Basically, many of us are labor meat in a mall-shopping culture.

To elucidate:
We "IT" workers are shopped like meat on the hoof at an auction when
seeking employment.
The employers are only interested in a specific skill set which  is 100%
directly and immediately
applicable to their problem domain.  This, combined with
(A) continued rising unemployment in the tech sector , and
(B) HR databases which are designed to correlate human skill sets with
organizational needs, and
(C) the Wal Mart  mentality of always shopping for the lowest price
=> results in a "race to the bottom"

Very few IT folks have been successful at "branding" themselves.  So
unless that
is done, we all appear as generic brand "X" commodities, providing a
collectionof features.
    Lead developer on 8 Open source Java projects .  Whiter Whites, No
Phosphates!!!
    Sendmail admin and spam filtering expertise ....  Ultra Low Carbs,
Too!!!
    Excellent communications skills (this always appears) .... New
Disposable Carton!!!

For any kind of scientist, this industry has gone to hell in a
handbasket. The structure set in place disallows
a hiring manager to give a damn if you "really" understand subjects like
bottleneck issues, task-swapping problems,
or even the simplest heat disipation-in-a-server-closest problems; let
alone actually having any
"communications skills" and the grace to *not* piss off the technophobes.

That's just the way I see it.