[TriLUG] OT: When did GMail prostitution get so popular?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu Aug 26 14:55:03 EDT 2004

> Privacy?   Ok, keep deluding yourself.  In this case, the benefit
> outweighs the risk.  I've never seen an ad in a mail I sent, and I
> barely notice the text ads on the side.  In fact, I didn't notice them
> until I looked for them.

Never did I intend people to interpret what I said to mean that I thought
email was secure to begin with, I dont.  I guess what I was refereing to
was companies using social engineering to track me and thus try market to
me.  I think there is a difference between someone sniffing my email off
the wire and a company scanning my email to tailor ads to me.  Along the
same lines I certainly don't like the idea of imbedding RFID tags in
clothing so that when you go into Sears they know you are wearing a shirt
from JC Penney's.  Not that it has come to that yet, but it might.  How
about having to imbed a chip in your hand similar to what you can do for
animals. Only instead of finding a lost dog, the govermnet now tracks your
every move.  Maybe a little to big brotherish, but just because technology
evolves doesn't mean that it is necesarilly put to the best use.

Matt Pusateri

Remember, it's not paranoia if they really are after you