[TriLUG] talk problem

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 27 07:54:21 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 00:43, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Jon Carnes said the following on 8/26/04 10:39 PM:
>
> >>service talk
> >>{
> >>    flags            = IPv4
> >>    disable            = no
> >>    socket_type        = dgram
> >>    protocol            = udp
> >>    wait            = yes
> >>    user            = nobody
> >>    group            = tty
> >>    server            = /usr/sbin/in.talkd
> >>    server_args             = -d
> >>
> >>}
>

> > Shouldn't this be "talkd" instead of "talk"?
> >
> > - Jon
>
> No.  Talk in this context refers to the service
> name in /etc/services.  The daemon in question is
> specified in the server line (/usr/sbin/in.talkd).
>
> To the original poster:  have you checked to make
> sure you don't have iptables filtering out that
> port?
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

Uhhh, No.

I don't know why you erased the context and put my info in that part of
his message, but I was referring to the entry in /etc/hosts.allow (right
where my comment was originally inserted).

In my experience, the name used in hosts.allow is more along the lines
of the name of the server being called. In this case "talkd" or
"in.talkd".

Jon