[TriLUG] talk problem

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 27 22:20:25 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 16:57, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Jon Carnes said the following on 8/27/04 7:54 AM:
> > Uhhh, No.
> >
> > I don't know why you erased the context and put my info in that part of
> > his message, but I was referring to the entry in /etc/hosts.allow (right
> > where my comment was originally inserted).
>
> I erased your context because I was annoyed that you refused to erase
> anything in your message and instead quoted the entire message.  If you
> wish your message to be clear, perhaps you should edit out the irrelevant
> portions yourself first.
>
> > In my experience, the name used in hosts.allow is more along the lines
> > of the name of the server being called. In this case "talkd" or
> > "in.talkd".
>
> Yes, you are correct there.  Mea culpa.  I still think it would have
> been clearer, though, if you'd done some judicious editing.
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

Unfortunately the real purpose of this list is to inform and connect
with folks. It's not a list that specializes in prose.  That being the
case it is often very annoying to find only a partial answer in the
archives and then have to hunt down through several emails to find the
complete solutions or discussions.

Further, if those parts had been irrelevant I *would* have edited them
out. They were not irrelevant.

Drop the superior attitude for a awhile and learn to be a man.

Jon