[TriLUG] OT: USB watch

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sat Aug 28 16:22:31 EDT 2004

> Kevin Flanagan wrote:
>
>>http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?action=detail&dpno=226831#scroll
>>

>>A 128MB USB fob/Watch combo.
>>
>>They did explicitly say that Linux 2.4 kernel was one of the required
>>OSes
>>

>>Too cool, but I'd really like to see one first, is that USB connector
>>kind of clumsy hanging around, or does it tuck in somewhere?
>>

> I'm pretty sure it tucks away into the band.  Action shot from ThinkGeek
> sort of backs up that assumption (although not conclusively):
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/5eec/action/21090fc/
>
> This other shot of the watch (found via searching "usb watch" at
> images.google.com) shows more clearly that it tucks into the band.
> http://www.haimei.com/computer_accessories/images/ufws.jpg
>
> And yet another:
> http://www.otdyhai.udm.net/shopping/shop_images/usb_watch_2.jpg
>
> No guarantees that they're all the same watch, but a cursory comparison
> would seem to indicate that they are.
>
> Aaron J.

I have one, it does tuck into the band, aside from USB on the clasp it
tucks into you wouldn't even know it is their.  It is nice, I got it as a
gift but  I don't use it much.  The only two complaints are: 1. The band
that the watch strap normally tucks into to keep it from flapping is also
where the USB connector hides.  Actually kind of ingenious.  But the band
is very rigid and I have to take the watch off after awhile of typing
because it digs into my wrist.  The other thing I don't like is the
crystal is a little to convex so it gets scratched up easily.  But it is
very nice to have.  They now make a 256M and a 512M.  Somewhere I have a
link to the orginal manufacturer Xenix I think.  Any how if you want to
buy about 500 of them (prepaid) they will private brand for you :)

Matt