[TriLUG] broadband option in the Triangle area

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sun Aug 29 09:37:40 EDT 2004

Ron Joffe wrote:

>Aaron,
>
>Do you know if Intrex offers a "Naked" Version of their DSL without the need
>for a Bellsouth subscriber line?

Unfortunately, Intrex does not currently offer this service.  BellSouth
was doing trials of it in Georgia and Tennessee, but to break the bad
news, we recently learned from BellSouth that they've stopped the
trials, and have no plans to offer it in the Triad area.  This of course
makes us very sad, and we hope that may change in the future, but there
are no immediate signs of it.  You can of course still get DSL on a
standard plain-jane phone line to the tune of about $15 / month, and
then stack your DSL service onto that.  If you're going VOIP it's a very
good idea to have 911 service for life-line purposes anyway, and that's
a reasonable way for it to be provided  (yes, canceling the service and
depending on BS keeping the line 911-active to comply with the regs
would be even better, I know).  Keep your ear to the ground for Intrex
to roll out a bundled VOIP / DSL service with unlimited national
calling, and oodles of other features, all at a competitive price, in
the very near future.

Aaron S. Joyner