[TriLUG] Wavelan wireless card

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Aug 30 01:23:09 EDT 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 01:19, Mike Johnson wrote:
> Thomas [thomas at tbeckett.com] wrote:
> > Thanks, Jason!  After spending another week poking and googling
> > around, I have the impression that this is a not-uncommon problem.
> > Yet I have found no ready solution, either.  I'm not a hacker but
> > I'm no dummy either, and after trying the wizard every which way
> > and tweaking config files directly, I'm still stumped.  Perhaps I
> > should start over with Fedora or some Debian offshoot.
>
> Wireless is working fine on my Mandrake 10.0 laptop.  The one hitch I
> ran into was that wireless-tools wasn't installed.  Once I added
> that, all was happy.  I never ran the little wizard thingie (they
> give my hives), instead I edited
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 directly and set it thusly:
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> Mike

i was installing a new mandrake system last week and noticed that the
networking "wizard" sometimes didn't actually save the data to the
correct files (like /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX and the
like).  there's a good possibility that manually editing them produces
the desired results, which is what i ended up doing successfully.  the
only thing i don't know off the top of my head is the location and
syntax of the wireless settings.

jason