[TriLUG] WRT54G as WAP

Matthew Lavigne mattchew.latreen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 11:02:42 EDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:19:20 -0400, Rick DeNatale
<rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> First I direct connected to the WRT54G and changed it's ip address
> from it's default of 192.168.1.1/24 to 192.168.0.12/24 so that it's on
> the same subnet as the rest of the lan, and disabled it's dhcp server.

I have the same thing running at the house (actually have the WRT54G
piggybacked on a Linksys to my CC box).

> After than I connected it to the LAN. I ignored the WAN port, and
> connected it to my lan (which connects to my ISP via a Netgear FVS318
> gateway at 192.168.0.11 by the way), via one of the four switch ports
> on the WRT54G.

Correct

> I can now see it's web server at 192.168.0.12 from machines on the
> lan. I then proceeded to set up ssid, WEP keys, etc.

Still on track

> Then I went to a windoze laptop and set the security there so the card
> driver says it's connected via 802.11g the card is an AirLink+ 802.11g
> Wireless CardBus adapter.

Did you make sure that you have gateway and dns infor on the Windows
box?  If you are not using DHCP on anything then that may be your
problem.

> However, I can't ping either 192.168.0.12, or 192.168.11. And of
> course the laptop isn't seeing the DHCP server on the Netgear either.

ipconfig /all can be your friend here.  Try route print  from the
command line to see what routes you get

> I've also tried this with an SMC2632W, which acts the same way, albeit
> with an 802.11b connection.
>
> I've played around a bit with the WAN side settings, although they
> really shouldn't matter since I'm not using that interface on the
> WRT54G.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on, or how to make this
> work?  I got the WRT54G with the idea that I might want to hack it in
> the future, since it's open source, but I'd rather get it up and
> working first!

No ideas as to what the problem that you have but I know that this will work.

Matthew