[TriLUG] YaST redefined

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Aug 30 11:40:50 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>...to Yet another Sendmail Trick...or in this case, question.
>
>Should I have to restart sendmail for changes to /etc/aliases to take
>effect?  I didn't think it was necessary, but there's circumstantial
>evidence suggesting otherwise..

The short answer: No.  Run `newaliases`.

The long answer: You do not need to restart sendmail, per say - but
restarting sendmail will often perform the additional task that is
required (depending on precisely how you have sendmail setup, and how
you're restarting it).  The real kicker here is that the aliases file is
not read directly by sendmail, it accesses a file called aliases.db - a
hash database derived from the plain-text aliases file.  In order to
properly create the .db file, run the command `newaliases` which will
update the .db file from the plain-text file.

>Oh and I don't remember seeing anyone address an earlier wondering of why
>the package sizes in up2date all show up as 0kb in the update list...  Not a
>critical issue by any means, but a curiosity nonetheless.

Not a clue on this one as I swore off RedHat right after "The Great
Schism"...  :)

Aaron S. Joyner