[TriLUG] WRT54G as WAP

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 13:26:51 EDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:12:44 -0400, Shane O'Donnell <shaneo at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> There are some situations (which escape me right now) where the WRT54G's
> internal interface does not respond appropriately if the WAN interface is
> not configured.  Note that this doesn't mean it has to be used (or even have
> anything plugged into it), it just needs to be configured with an IP
> address.  This may be specific to one of the alternative firmware loads, but
> I'm not sure.

I haven't pulled anything on this either via google, or the Linksys
support pages. Any idea on how I might find info?

Does it matter what that IP address is? I've thought about playing
with the static IP setting on the WAN side, but i'm not sure how I
should configure it. Should it be on the same subnet as the lan? It
doesn't feel right to set it to the same address as the lan interface,
but I guess I can always reset to factory if that fails.

> >From a Linux perspective, the five-port switch on board (ADM6996, depending
> somewhat on the version of the WRT54G) has all interfaces (four physical and
> one WiFi) as part of the same bridge group, so IP connectivity between these
> devices should not be hindered whatsoever by the device itself.  Recheck
> your client configs.

If you've been following the saga, you'll know that I've got things
working as long as I manually configure the IP settings on the
wireless clients. The problem is that I can't pull DHCP settings from
the Netgear router through the WRT54G. I suppose I could play with
turning the DHCP server on the Netgear off and turn it back on on the
Linksys and test if machine not directly connected to the Linksys can
get DHCP.