[TriLUG] Re: RedHat 9 and cups

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Aug 31 11:08:35 EDT 2004

Setting up printing is still too difficult, and CUPS doesn't make it
much better.  You can do damn near anything with CUPS, but you need to
read the CUPS docs and understand how it works to do so.  It's not
plug-n-play like Windows printing is.

Given that, http://www.linuxprinting.org is your friend, seriously.
It has the best coverage of what printers work with Linux under CUPS,
LPRng, lpd, etc.  What drivers you need, what printing subsystems,
up-to-date PPDs for CUPS, etc.  It's my first stop whenever I need to
deal with linxu printing these days.

I have an Epson Stylus C82 working perfectly on a parallel port
connection from my FC1 box at home and my girlfriend's Win98 box
prints to it perfectly as well using the from-CD installed driver for
the printer.  At the time I purchased it, the C82 was the recommended
moderate-cost color inkjet printer on linuxprinting.org and I've been
pleased with it.

--[Lance]

--
  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/