[TriLUG] demoing F/OSS innovation(s)

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Aug 31 15:28:24 EDT 2004

Phillip Rhodes wrote:

> I'm sure there are plenty of other things as well, some more suited
> for "geeks," some that would be right for "business" types, etc.
>

> Anyway, like I was saying, the idea is still a little vague and
> needs some fleshing out (assuming it has any merit at all).

Perhaps why you haven't seen any of this in the past was sort of alluded
to in another thread.  This LUG (like most other LUGs) is comprised of
mostly tech-types, developers, administrators, etc.  What you're looking
for is traditionally the domain of marketing-type people - and the Ven
diagram intersection of those two is particularly small.  In fact, the
two groups often detest each other, and their cartoons tend to play that
up.  :)  In the corporate world - where managers can dictate that Joe
Creative will come up with an idea, and get Bob Tech to help him
implement it - this type of "demonstration" is much more common.  In the
wild, these two species don't often mingle with out catastrophic
results.  :)

I'm not saying all this to discourage the concept, or to say that one
group can't accomplish the task of the other (and yes, it goes both
ways).  I'm just attempting to provide additional insight into why this
type of things isn't common outside of the corporate world.

Aaron S. Joyner