[TriLUG] Gmail for nonprofits

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 17:03:36 EDT 2004

> Jeremy raises a good point which needs to be considered. I went back
> and scanned the terms of service, and although they don't seem to
> prohibit such clever mis-uses of the service right now, they do
> reserve the right to:
>
> 1) Change the terms of service at any time
> 2) Terminate the service or an individual's use of the service. They
> explicitly state that in such a case the user will not have any access
> to his account data.
>
> Given that, I'm not sure I'd want to use Gmail as a backup system for
> myself, let alone get a non-profit hooked on it, certainly not as a
> sole backup mechanism.

Granted, they can change.  However, I would like to point out that no
one said anything about using it for personal backup, letting a
nonprofit get "hooked" on it, or it being a sole backup solution.
Such depencies would be irresponsible considering that it's free, and
free stuff tends to go away.

Listen, this stuff is experimental.  Stop over-analyzing it.  That's
not the point!

MPF