[TriLUG] what is the best 2.6 kernel to update to

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Sep 5 13:26:21 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 08:34, Ralph Blach wrote:
> I am running a  redhat 9.0 system on an anthalon hardware and everthing
> pretty much works perfectly.
>
> If I were going to update to a 2.6 x kernel, what 2.6.x kernel should I
> update to?
>
> Which is the most reliable and roboust of "Stable Kernel"

Hi Ralph,

Rather than just updating the kernel, it may be wiser to install an
entirely new distro.  If you're used to Red Hat, the Fedora Core
releases will seem very familiar to you.  And Fedora Core 2 has a nice
(IMHO) 2.6 kernel setup as its default.  We're running Fedora Core
(versions 1, 2, and some of the test releases) on literally hundreds of
systems including our desktops, laptops, storage servers, and compute
nodes (beowulf clusters) and are quite pleased with it.

If you decide to try it, a great place to start is:

  http://fedorafaq.org/

which has, among other things, a very helpful "yum.conf" file at:

  http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

good luck,
Ed

--