[TriLUG] DNS makes my head hurt..

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Sep 8 09:40:18 EDT 2004

Ok, remember how I was setting up some named virtual hosts for a nonprofit?
Now I'm working with the fellow that holds the registration of the domain
name.  I told him to alias his domain to strutmasters.net; that way, as long
as we keep our domain name registration up-to-date, his is automatically
up-to-date as well.  He replied and said:
"All I need is the name servers, NS1 and NS2 are they both strutmasters.net
this is the only way that it can be done at register" [sic]
Which one of us is confused?  I have very little domain registration
experience, but the times I've ever registered any domain, it's been tell
the people the name and the IP and they take care of it; I've never been
asked about name servers.  I thought name servers were the realm of the dns
provider?
So if I'm the confused one here, what's the right answer to his question?
"Yes"?
If he's the confused one, what do I tell him to clear things up?

Thanks y'all,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com