[TriLUG] cvs CVSROOT/modules

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 8 14:38:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 01:54:16PM -0400, William Sutton wrote:

> I have, of course, the cvsadmin acct to access it for setup, but I'm not
> about to let everybody and their dog use it to check in/out code.

Heh.  That's the right attitude.

So you have trusted folks that get to check in - they get accounts.
These accounts are part of the "cvs" group.  The cvs files are set to
allow the cvs group to rwx.

Then you have a larger group that gets to check out - they can use
pserver with a login to an "anonymous" account.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Secure-CVS-Pserver/

 This document will help you set up a more secure CVS Pserver for
 anonymous CVS access.

  CVS Pserver is, by definition, an insecure protocol. Among other
  things, passwords are transmitted in plain text, making it undesirable
  for much use. However, CVS Pserver is very good for providing
  anonymous CVS access to a repository.

  In this document we will introduce you to setting up a CVS repository
  (although not intruding on the CVS HOWTO's space), and how to set up a
  chroot jail for the Pserver. We will also talk about using SSH for
  developer access to a repository.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.