[TriLUG] cvs CVSROOT/modules

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 8 15:18:46 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:43:40PM -0400, William Sutton wrote:
> Well, since the CVS repository is being used by the people writing the
> code (not as a documentation bank or whatever), the anonymous access isn't
> important (plus I have a sneaking suspicion that $WORK wouldn't like
> anonymous checkouts in any case).  So, we're stuck with usernames.

Taking a lesson from open source projects, only a handful of people
have commit priviledges.  Everyone else submits patches that get
reviewed, accepted, and committed by the inner core.  If you're
not already set up in that configuration, then programmer ego will
prevent it from being implemented.  All programmers think they should
be allow to personally commit their precious brainchildren to the
repository :-).

(I am an ex-corporate programmer trying to think and act like and
open source programmer.)

> All of this is going on inside a vpn, so the only people that will be
> hacking plaintext passwords will be people inside the vpn (theoretically
> all employees).

Much safeness here.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.