[TriLUG] help with PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 128MB Video Card

Kipp Spanbauer kippspan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 22:42:57 EDT 2004

I'm using an 8k stack kernel.  Try following through this link:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-18222.html :

Zap
Hi I installed the latest nvidia .run driver update and allowed the
driver to recompile the kernal. I modified my xorg.conf to use the
"nvidia" driver instead of "nv" and removed the lines the Readme told
me to. When I boot using that driver the GUI never displays and I get
a black screen. I'm using FC2.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Dell Inspiron 8200
GeForce2Go4
1600x1200 resolution on UXGA screen.

jrittvo
Take a look at this thread over at Nvidia. You need a different
kerrnel version than the one Fedora is presently providing....

Zap
So glad you popped in here jrittvo. You saved me a lot of headache :)

Zap
Tried the steps there this afternoon, but it won't let me install the
kernal from that site because my kernal is newer. Any ideas?

jrittvo
Yep. Download this package (probably the one you have already):

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Now you will have it customize itself for your newer kernel. It has
info for some kernels already built into it, but when you have a newer
kernel, you need to add this step each time.

You will need to have the kernel-source package for the 8k-stack
kernel you are using already installed on your machine. You can get an
rpm for it at the same place you got the kernel rpm itself, which is
probably Linuxant. It is a big file but no big thing to install -- it
is just libraries and headers that anything compiled against a
particular kernel needs to know about. Installing the kernel source
won't change or mess up anything. Make sure you are running your
"newer" kernel for this next step.

To customize the NVIDIA .run package you downloaded for your current
kernel and kernel-source, run this:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

This will make a package called:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1-custom.run

It is now pre-built to work with your particular new kernel, in
addition to whatever it would have worked with before.

So now you are back to going through the regular instructions you
tried before, but you will use your new custom.run package instead.