[TriLUG] Linux forums other than trilug?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Sep 9 08:57:19 EDT 2004

Tom Bryan wrote:

>So, I've posted about this question a couple of times, and it looks like
>everyone's as stumped as I am.  I'm just about googled out.  What other high
>quality (high signal-to-ratio) forums do you all use when TriLUG can't answer
>your question?
>
>In case anyone wants to take a crack at the original question, I'm having
>trouble with grub and a wrong kernel image version number.  I wanted to move
>my root partition, which contains both / and /boot to another hard drive.
><problem description snipped>

The short answer: Generally, I find that when the answer can't be found
from TriLUG, you need to resort to the appropriate user or developer list.

The Aaron answer...
TriLUG (as a whole) is very good at answering general questions, high
level theory questions, and picking up on the specifics of the more
common packages.  But when it comes down to the specifics of an unusual
problem (such as yours), you need a group (or person) who is either very
focused on your problem, or very familiar with the problem domain.  You
might try asking around at the meeting for people who are particularly
familiar w/ grub (or just tackling someone), and going through a more
thorough explanation of your problem - with the advantage of real-time
Q&A.  There-by focusing someone on your problem domain, and giving you a
convenient place to bounce ideas.  But since you've apparently been
focused on your problem rather closely, unless the person you tackle
knows significantly more about it than you do, they can only help you
uncover obvious errors.

What's more likely to result in a final solution though, is someone more
directly familiar with the problem domain.  In this case, you might want
to try the homepage for GRUB as a starting point.  I will assume from
this point that you're using GNU GRUB.  Their homepage is located here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html - but due to the development
split of GRUB2, be careful where you ask for help with GRUB.  I'd
suggest signing up for the bug-grub list
(http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-grub), and throwing it out to
see what happens.  It's very likely that at the least, you'll get a
decent conversation going and perhaps some new ideas.  You should of
course first read over the FAQ (although I didn't find anything directly
relevant to your problem), and you should go through the Bug database
(which I did not do).

I mean no offense when I say that most likely your problem is actually a
configuration related or some such, as debugging over the mailing list
is beyond my personal expertise.  Try not to go in with the presumption
that it's a bug when submitting to the bug list, and your results are
likely to be better.  :)

Best of luck in finding a solution, and don't forget to post it back to
the TriLUG list if you do.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner