[TriLUG] 16+ GB RAM PC advice

Carlos J. Cela ccela at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 11 12:04:06 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am a working in a research project at NC State which involves large
simulations. So far we have been using Pentium 4 based PC's with 4GB of
RAM, but it is getting harder and harder to fit our more detailed models
in 4GB of memory.

Have any of you guys have some experience with Linux (or Windows)
compatible PC's with 16GB -or ideally more- RAM? I recall having seen
several different Opteron and dual Xeon 16GB RAM motherboards on the
web, but found no information about what OS's were supported. Will any
Linux distribution work?

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carlos-