[TriLUG] Samba-3 + PDC+LDAP Question

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Mon Sep 13 09:12:51 EDT 2004

> I have three servers, one email, one ldap (plus DNS, dhcp...) and the
> 3rd Samba ---   LDAP authenticates fine against the linux side, plus when
> I connect to a share from the XP mahcine,  username and password
> (including root) are accepted (which means that it's reading the ldap
> (ldbm) and for the root password (vi tdbsam) -- but when I try to join
> the XP machine to the domain, it fails - the logs say it can't
> authenitcate the user. I think it's because it is trying to read the
> smbpasswd file. I have added root to LDAP and the passdb.tdb file -- but
> I get the same results.
>
> I had this all working, then they decided last minute to change the
> domain names an the hostnames of all the machines --- (this means I
> broke something) :-(

Mark,

Have you recreated any of the TDB files since the domain rename?  If I am
not mistaken your ldap user has a password entry in either passdb.tdb or
in secrets.tdb  Any how the password files are domain specific.  You
should be able to search the samba archives and find the solution.   look
under migrating NT 4 domain to samba.  If I get time later I will look
into it more, but I know I have seen the same problem as yours due to
domain name change.

Matt