[TriLUG] Sort of OT Job Posting or The quasi-literate at work

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Sep 13 12:54:09 EDT 2004

> Agreed.  When did 'qualified for a job' suddenly become too much to ask?

I think it's a condition of moving from "please please work for us, by the
way here's a dump-truck full of money for signing with us and we'll train
you along the way" to "work for us, know everything already, and you'll find
your peanuts in the break room.  But don't eat them."

An exaggeration to be sure, but I bet some of the flak does come from folks
who are still expecting (or wishing for) the "olden days" where qualified
(or semi-qualified) IT professionals were a precious commodity rather than a
dime-a-dozen such as we seem to be now.

Some flak may also come from folks (much like myself) who are meagerly
qualified due to brief experience (to use myself as an example, I've only
been in the field for about 4 years, only full time for 2) being sniffed at
in favor of the myriad of out-of-work [over-/better-]qualified IT
professionals with 10+ years of experience.  Perhaps I'm cynical, but I seem
to see an awful lot of "lots of experience and qualifications" job postings
and precious few entry-level or <5yrs experience positions.  Maybe I'm just
looking in the wrong places.

The perennial PFY (who longs to be the BOFH),
~Brian Henning