[TriLUG] php & ldap

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:11:01 EDT 2004

Ok, three days of tinkering...massive amounts of googling...23% less
hair....need help...

I can't get the php/apache/Openldap to play nicely together.  I've
installed apache 2.0.50, php and php-ldap 4.3.8-2.1, as well as
openldap 2.2.13-2.  I'd like to be able to use php's ldap calls to
authenticate against/search/update ldap records.

The ldap server is a remote server, and I can successfully connect
from a command line with ldapwhoami and ldapsearch.

I can also use the AUTH directives in a .htaccess file to get into a
website no problem (this only provides a fraction of the functionality
I need).

It should be noted that I'm using the RPM's for everything as this is
how I was asked to do it.  I can compile it from source only as a last
resort.

Is there something I'm missing that is so simple no one ever bothered
to ask about it on any message boards?

phpinfo shows that ldap is compiled in as shared (although it doesn't
point to a directory) and there is a section on LDAP further down that
says ldap is enabled.

I'm sure you are wondering how I can tell it isn't working with php, I
copied and pasted the test page provided on www.php.net/ldap and I get
no errors (but I also get no values).  Basically the ldap_connect
works fine (although from what I've read it doesn't do anything) but
ldap_bind() does nothing...no error...no success.

If you need more info just ask...

TIA,
Steve