[TriLUG] Any problems with a 160 GB IDE disk?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Sep 14 12:19:40 EDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Matthew Lavigne wrote:

> put grub on the floppy with no kernel?

hmm, have you tried this?

I did a whole lot of messing around when I was trying to boot disks,
larger than the bios knows about, and I can't remember whether I tried
this.

I do remember that you can't fit all of grub onto a floppy (libraries,
executable etc). So you can't boot off a self contained floppy.

The other thing is if you just have the boot part of grub on the floppy
(which amounts to the boot sector), then you need the bios to hop to the
disk that has the rest of the executables etc and you are back where you
started (ie can't boot).

However, it's been a while and I may have missed or forgotten something.

Thanks Joe