[TriLUG] Any problems with a 160 GB IDE disk?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Sep 14 13:37:29 EDT 2004

Just to cover the obvious for this thread... have you checked for BIOS
updates from the manufacturer?  Also, I haven't dealt directly with this
problem in recent memory (so don't consider me authoritative at all),
but from my previous experience what the BIOS sees is largely
irrelevant.  As long as the BIOS sees the drive enough to load the boot
loader, and the boot-loader can access all of it's files (inside the
first 1024 sectors in the case of LILO), once Linux comes up it will
describe the drive not limited by the BIOS's version of the addressing.
But then again, maybe I'm just getting old and my memory is froggie.

Aaron S. Joyner