[TriLUG] Transferring audio cassettes to CDs with Linux

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Sep 16 08:59:29 EDT 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 07:54 am, Michael Thompson wrote:
> Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> > For the sake of audio quality, use the best cassette player you can
> > get your hands on, and record at a high quality on the computer.

Hm.  I probably don't have anything considered high quality here.

Of course, my focus is to listen to the CDs in a car (where I don't have a
fancy audio system either), so I'm not sure how much I'll notice mediocre
quality.  :-)  I'm not an audiophile by any means.  I have a relatively small
collection of music, and I just want to have access to it on all of my
devices (so, I need cassette, CD, and ogg vorbis).

> Anything 'Sound Blaster' is also evil.

Yikes.  All I have now is an old SB Live Value card.  :-P

> The line-in on SBs cant seem to handle enough of a signal to get a decent
> recording without distorting,

I'll give it a try with a couple of tapes and see what it sounds like.

> I've destroyed a handful of SBs over the years trying to do home studio
> stuff.

Yikes!  I've never "destroyed" any of my computer hardware during normal use.
Perhaps there's a lot more to doing this kind of work than I thought.

> I currently use a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for recording and it has been
> nothing but GREAT,

Thanks.  That doesn't look too expensive.  I'll check into it if the SB
recordings are just unacceptable.

---Tom