[TriLUG] Transferring audio cassettes to CDs with Linux

john mitchell john280z at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 16 11:09:59 EDT 2004

Tom,
   I am using Audacity to transfer Vinyl to CD - it works great. I can
let the recording run on if I get busy and then edit out the long
silence at the end - Zoom out for big edits, zoom in for close work. I
sometimes use the "Fade In" and "Fade Out" filters at the beginning and
end of tracks. In my case I also put a silent space between tracks ( no
noise at all) before using "Gramofile" to filter out the clicks and
pops, then burn a CD.

   A note about Sound Cards: A sound card can have good specifications
but when plugged into a PC buss may pick up noise from the buss (
possabiliy from a ground loop between the PC and the audio equiptment).
I used a freeware (windows) program ( RightMark Audio Analyzer
-audio.rightmark.org) to check the noise levels and frequency response
of my SB AWE 64 and then the motherboard sound chipset. The motherboard
chipset is better in my case and that is what I use.

john mitchell

Dear RIAA spybots - I am making archive recordings of  my personally
owned albums.