[TriLUG] help with PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 128MB Video Card

Dan Monjar dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Thu Sep 16 11:19:43 EDT 2004

--On Tuesday, September 07, 2004 12:00:42 PM -0400 Dan Monjar
<dan at daijin.dissimulo.com> wrote:

> I thought my box said 5500 but it might be this one from the picture.  I
> bought one this weekend and am not having a lot of luck getting it to
> work under Mandrake 10.  I can do an install of Mandrake with the card in
> so it works somewhat.  But I can't get a valid set of X params for it nor
> the best driver.  I went to the nVidia site and dl'ed the latest driver
> install script.  It says it doesn't have a precompiled driver so it tries
> to compile and fails.
>
> Anyone with hints for getting this nVidia GeForce FX based card working
> for me?

OK, after poking at this thing for a week or so I got it working. Biggest
help was from here <http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=17280>.
Basically it is bad advise from the install script.  When running the
installer it will fail and the error log tells you to go to the kernel src
directory and do a 'make mrproper'.  If you do this you are in trouble.
Once I figured this out and got my kernel source reconfigured it was really
pretty easy

1.  run the installer with '--add-this-kernel'.  this creates a custom
installer.
2.  run the custom job from step 1
3.  change your xconfig driver to nvidia and have at it.

--
Dan Monjar