[TriLUG] Debian Woody CDs

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Sep 16 14:48:47 EDT 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 12:13 pm, Mike M wrote:

> > I had the initial install CD and tried a network install, but the
> > installer was having trouble with name resolution (DNS).  I found the
> > network configuration screens confusing (they didn't seem to support
> > DHCP), but perhaps I just have an old copy of the install CD.
> >
> > Anyway, since it's my first Debian install, a set of CDs would be much
> > easier. I'd like to avoid having to order a set if someone in the Raleigh
> > area has them already.  I can make it to just about any spot in and
> > around Raleigh tomorrow morning or evening.

> You can wget CD1 and burn a CD faster than driving to pick one up.
>
> http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=4

I've got an old Woody CD1 that a friend gave me.  Perhaps I need to get a more
recent copy?  Does Debian update the installer CDs for their older, more
stable distributions?  How do I tell if I have the most recent?

> Boot from  CD1 and then choose to load from http during the load
> procedure.

That was my original intention.

> You will be loading "stable".  Then, depending on what you want to do
> (server or workstation, etc.) you decide to upgrade to "testing"
> or "unstable" (aka, Sid).

I want "stable" for this box, so no problem there.

> payoff is in the (I think) large and consistent repository of
> applications.  I have never had a problem with dependency
> conflicts.

Well, I've used Red Hat since I started running Linux (back with Red Hat 5.2),
but I'm not concerned about the "hands on" nature of the install.  My first
few Red Hat installs involved writing an XF86Config file by hand for an
unsupported monitor, creating logical partitions in such a way that the
Windows install on the box could no longer read the partition table, etc.
I've built my own RPMs and written RPM spec files by hand, and I currently
have some time to waste, so....bring it on.

> Post problems here and we'll help you get through.

I'm trying to install on the box that will be acting as my firewall and IP
masquerading/forwarding machine at home.  It has 2 NICs.  I tried to pick the
right drivers during the install, but then I was somewhat baffled by the
network configuration.  I was presented with two network interface choices
(tun10 and dummy0, I think), and when I tried to configure one, there was no
"configure via DHCP."  The installer wanted an IP address, a gateway machine,
etc.  I tried a few combinations (boot from Knoppix and see what IP and DNS
servers Road Runner is assigning to the machine and use those, use an address
on the cable modem's subnet and point to the cable modem's configuration
interface's IP as the "gateway," etc.), but all the installer ever said after
that phase was that it couldn't resolve the DNS name for the Debian
repository on the 'Net.

I haven't started digging hard for how to get the Debian network install to
the network interface's IP, netmask, DNS servers, etc. from DHCP.  I figured
it might be a shorter path to installation if I could get the full CD set as
recommended at  http://www.debian.org/distrib/.

But if you point me to the docs on using DHCP during the installation, I'll
try again.  :-)

---Tom