[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Which *BSD?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun Sep 19 10:17:12 EDT 2004

I'm wanting to learn BSD. I've been reading up on the 3 I understand to be
the "Big 3": OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD.

My question is 2 fold. If you use BSD, which do you use and why? Again I
want to learn *BSD and I plan to try all 3 eventually and play with them,
but I'd like an understanding from folks that use one or more of these on
the main differences they've seen.

I'd like to see if I can use what I do under Linux on the BSD platform. I do
lean towards Red Hat and Fedora only because I'm used to RPM and I learned
on Red Hat so I'm more comfortable there. I do need to use WINE or a
derivative to run a couple of programs that I still need.

Now I'm not trying to start a holy war. I'm not trying to start a "My *BSD
is better than your *BSD". Please keep the flames and flamewars to yourself,
not here. And please don't say "Well if you like RPM based Linux, why not
try Mandrake?" This isn't about Linux but *BSD.

With all that said, TIA
Roy