[TriLUG] plan9

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 19 12:31:54 EDT 2004

Reading /. today I ran across plan9 again and did
some googling.  Found the download section which was
amusing/disturbing:

To download the software [plan9], you must fill out this form:

Mandatory:
I acknowledge that

    * the software is not intended for use by a government end-user
      except those in the United States, Canada, the European Union,
      Australia, Norway, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Japan,
      Switzerland, and New Zealand. (government end-users are defined in
      part 772).
    * I understand that the cryptographic software is subject to
      export controls under the Export Administration Regulations.
    * I understand that I cannot export the software without a
      license or other authorization.
    * I will not be using Plan 9 in the creation of weapons
      of mass destruction to be used by nations other than
      the US.

Egads. WMD?

Anybody ever try plan9?  There was a claim on /. that OpenBSD wants to
use the plan9 C compiler but have problems with the license (which
I can see might be a problem for them).
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.